Spring in Yosemite
As temperatures in spring in Yosemite are rising you can still expect some snow and ice, but without the blustery conditions. This makes weather perfect for snow-shoeing in the earlier spring months of March and April. By May conditions in Yosemite have usually warmed up more and cause some wet terrain, but it makes for some beautiful rainbows!
During this time, wild life and bird watching at Yosemite allows for some great photography of both the experienced and amateur photographer. Just be sure to keep your eyes open as nature starts to wake up and welcome in the warmer months.
Other activities in spring in Yosemite include, but are not limited to:
- Waterfall Visits: According to the National Park Service, with snow and ice beginning to melt, April and May are perfect waterfall months. From Yosemite Falls to Ribbon Falls, there are many to choose from.
- Wildlife Viewing: With less human traffic than summer months, you are more likely to see more animals in spring in Yosemite.
- Hiking: Be sure to check with the National Park Service and Yosemite National Park before venturing out as some trails can still be covered in winter snow.
Popular trails include:
– Glacier Point: Usually opens mid-April to early May.
– Yosemite Valley: Accessible year round and one of the most popular areas to see, be sure not to miss it in spring as the poppies start to bloom!
– Mariposa Grove: View California’s giant sequoias and walk among Yosemite’s ancient giants.
- Fishing: The last Saturday in April starts the beginning of stream and river fishing.
- National Park Week: The weekends of April 15-16 and 22-23, Yosemite National Park offers free admission! April 23rd is also Earth Day with festivities held throughout the day at the Yosemite Visitor’s Center.
- Ansel Adams Gallery: Beginning in May, Yosemite’s contemporary photography gallery, featuring Ansel Adams, opens.
With spring in Yosemite being such a trans-formative season, you won’t regret planning your visit during these vibrant months. For accommodations and to reserve your rental house in spring in Yosemite, call us at 1-559-978-9010. At Waterfall and River Lodging you can witness Yosemite National Parks’ wonders up close.